The Sanskrit word Ahimsâ designates, in the religions of India, non-violence and even the absence of any intention to harm.
It is this concept and the different emotions that compose it (kindness, benevolence, forgiveness…) that guide the Great Ensemble Koa. Its members have sought their inspiration in Indian culture and in their encounters with contemporary musical figures such as Steve Coleman, Aka Moon, Magik Malik, Ari Hoenig…
Oscillating between improvisation and writing, along a musical journey through different emotional soundscapes, the nine-piece ensemble creates an energetic and eclectic music at the crossroads of jazz, free music and rock; all under the composition of bassist Alfred Vilayleck.
- Matthieu Chédeville : soprano sax
- Armel Courrée : alto sax and barython
- Jérôme Dufour : tenor sax
- Pascal Bouvier : trombone
- Mattia Levréro : guitar
- Samuel Mastorakis : vibraphone
- Daniel Moreau : keyboards, piano
- Alfred Vilayleck : bass, composition
- Julien Grégoire : drums